Ventnor man’s death from amoeba leads to CDC probe in Texas
Updated: May 8
A Texas surfing resort is being tested by the Centers for Disease Control following a Ventnor man’s from a brain-eating amoeba, according to a news report. BSR Surf Resort closed Friday, a week after Fabrizio “Fab” Stabile died of primary amoebic meningoencephalitis, a rare but deadly brain infection caused by a “brain-eating amoeba” called Naegleria fowleri, according to the Waco Tribune-Herald. Stabile, 29, was back home in Ventnor mowing his lawn Sept. 16, when he suddenly experienced a severe headache and went to lie down, according to a GoFundMe page set up to raise awareness.
The Fabrizio Stabile Foundation
We created The Fabrizio Stabile Foundation for Naegleria Fowleri Awareness to bring awareness to, and educate as many people as possible about, this rare and preventable infection. We aim to do this through an annual fundraiser in Fabrizio’s memory in hopes that this will not affect another family. Please help us in keeping Fabrizio’s memory alive.
A day later, he couldn’t get out of bed or speak coherently, so his mother called 911 and he was rushed to the hospital. It wasn’t until three days later that one of the many tests he was given came back for the amoeba. There have been just 138 cases in the United States from 1962 to 2017, the CDC reports. All but five were fatal.
Stabile was an avid outdoorsman, according to his obituary. “Fabrizio will be remembered as someone with a contagious smile, who could lift the spirits of anyone and everyone he talked to,” it read. “To know Fab was to love Fab.” He worked for the state Department of Environmental Protection and Bass Pro Shops. Stabile was the younger of Rita and Vincenzo Stabile’s two children. His sister recently made him an uncle to Vivienne, “whom he loved and held at every opportunity.”