• Lynda Cohen

AG’s Shooting Response Team investigating fatal shooting

Updated: Apr 2

A Ventnor resident was killed in a shooting after he pointed a gun at officers following a standoff at his home, a spokesman for the Attorney General’s Office confirmed. John Fetter III, 49, was shot after he exited his parents’ home and allegedly pointed a gun at police. A shot was heard, and then police fired on Fetter, according to the preliminary investigation. The Attorney General’s Shooting Response Team is investigating. Police were called to the Burghley Avenue home in the city’s Ventnor Heights section at about 6:20 p.m., after Fetter allegedly threatened his father with a shotgun, according to report. His father, also named John, grabbed the shotgun and the two began tussling over the gun, the report said. A call was placed from the residence to the non-emergency police line, but ended before contact was made. After police arrived at the home, a call was made to 911 from inside the home. Audio from dispatch indicates the man had a gun, and was outside the residence when police first arrived, then ran back in. “Apparently, there’s been a round shot off,” an officer is heard saying. Just after dispatch says they lost contact with the caller, a call comes over the radio: “Fired shots. Shots fired! Shots fired!” Seconds later, an officer on-scene indicates a woman fled the home. “I have a female down that fell down the steps as she was coming out,” the male voice says. “The male’s apparently inside.” Police were able to get both parents out of the home safely. The officer is heard saying they may need a negotiator. The Atlantic County Emergency Response Team arrived as shots were fired out of the residence, striking a home across the street. No one was injured. Police were able to establish contact with Fetter, and attempted to talk him out peacefully, according the Attorney General’s Office release. At about 7:38 p.m., Fetter exited the home, stood on the porch and pointed a handgun at members of the SWAT team, according to the report. A single shot was heard, and then multiple shots were fired at Fetter. He was pronounced dead at the scene. A .22-caliber handgun was recovered. About four single shots were heard before the burst of gunfire that apparently killed Fetter. Residents blocks away were told to duck behind a fire truck. Multiple agencies were on the scene, including the Atlantic County SWAT team, and police from Atlantic City, Longport, Egg Harbor Township and Margate. Atlantic County Prosecutor’s Office detectives were also there. Residents said the area is normally quiet. The DeLucas have lived a block away on Derby Avenue since 1977, and never heard gunshots before. Cathy DeLuca thought she heard a shot while eating dinner, but brushed it off. Then, she heard the burst of gunfire, and looked out her window. She saw emergency lights up Marshall Avenue toward Dorset, but was sure the gunshots had come from the other direction. She was right. Down the street, police had the area cordoned off with tape.



  • White YouTube Icon

© 2020 by The SJNTV Team

Subscribe for SJNtv Updates

  • YouTube - Black Circle