• SJNtv

Absecon schools on lockdown but safe

Absecon students were finally cleared from their school by Friday evening, after a lockdown pushed back the start of winter break. A domestic incident nearby the school sparked the lockdown as a precaution after the suspect left the residence with a handgun, officials said. The lockdown began at about 12:10 p.m., according to the superintendent. “Everyone is safe” Superintendent Daniel Dooley told BreakingAC about a half-hour into the lockdown. “All parents of the community have been informed via our call message.”

UPDATE

Absecon man jailed in case that sparked school lockdown

An Absecon man who sparked a hours-long school lockdown is in jail.Police were called just before noon Friday, saying that a man had fled from a residence with a firearm with unknown intentions, police said Saturday.Because the residence is close to the Absecon School Complex, the school was placed … Read more

A message also was posted on the district’s website. Police were on scene, so no one could give details on the issue. “Even though there is not an immediate threat, we will remain in lockdown until the threat has been secured,” Dooley said. There were also about 150 parents in the building as well celebrating the holiday. They are also safe, he said. Parents and buses were turned away after 1 p.m., as the normal half-day dismissal time came and went. By 2:30 p.m., the students had been allowed back into their classrooms, where they were sheltering in place. A staggered dismissal of students finally began around 4:30 p.m., with children whose parents were there for the holiday celebrations allowed to leave first.


Subscribe for SJNtv Updates

  • YouTube - Black Circle